Minutes of a meeting of the Council
On Tuesday 27th March 2018
At Council Chamber, Corn Exchange, Ross-on-Wye at 19:30
Present: Chairman Cllr R Lewis; Cllr E Evans; Cllr O Marshall; Cllr I Pebody; Cllr J Scudamore; Cllr J Sherahilo; Cllr G Watts
In attendance: Ward Cllr B Durkin; Mr T Griffiths – Lengthsman; Parish Clerk Elizabeth Malcolm; 4 Parishioners.
1) Apologies for absence: Cllr C Gething-Lewis; Cllr P Plumley; Cllr D Teague Vice Chairman.
2) Declarations of interest and dispensation requests: None
3) Co-option of new Council member –None. It was noted that a flyer inviting new members had been delivered to all households.
4) Minutes of meetings: It was RESOLVED unanimously to agree and sign the minutes of 27th February 2018 as a true and accurate record of the meetings.
5) Open Session.
a) Ward Councillor’s report: Ward Cllr Barry Durkin had submitted a written report (published on Parish Council website) and offered assistance in a number of topics covered later in the meeting
b) Views of Local Residents
– Flooding problems on the Ross Road between school and phone box were noted and blocked drains opposite No.4 Green Close. Discussion as to BBL or Lengthsman role to clear.
– Following a question it was confirmed that NDP grant finance is ring fenced and may not be spent on any other matter.
– Further details of verbal reports were requested in minutes and it was agreed that working groups would be asked to provide written reports.
6) BACRG – Cllr Marshall provided an update on progress.
– We are still awaiting the outcome of the HLF repairs application
– BACRG is looking for funding to appoint the architects to draw up the detailed design for The Daily Bread
– Discussions have commenced on the Heads of Terms for the long lease on the building between BACRG and the Diocese
– Subject to funding approval we will be delivering heritage activities later in the Spring/Summer. We’d be pleased to hear from anyone with local history knowledge
7) Planning – It was noted that decision had been reached on appeal to approve application No 172040 ‘land at the Beeches’ for 4 houses. It was confirmed that this has been included in schedule of approved planning applications on NDP webpage.
8) Light Pollution ¬-The Parish Council had been provided with a copy of research document and it was agreed to discuss this further at the next meeting with Cllr Teague in attendance.
9) Neighbourhood Development Plan – Cllr Sherahilo confirmed an Open Day to be held on Saturday 14th April at Muddy Boots offices offering all residents opportunity to further consult on the ‘preferred option’ document available to view on website and at various other locations in hard copy.
10) Road Defects / Highways issues
a) Road defects & highways issues for Herefordshire Council – (see Comments from public) and potholes on Gatsford Lane were noted as worsening and in urgent need of repair.
b) Working Group on action on speeding on Ross Road and Gatsford Lane – It was reported that a meeting had been held with Ian Connelly of West Mercia Police at which it was discussed what reasonable measures could be taken to reduce motorists speeds. It was agreed that the requested TRO for a speed limit reduction through the village should remain for action through BBL. In addition further measures to be agreed may be submitted under a Community Commissioning Model request whereby costs are met by Parish Council. Ward Cllr Durkin gave his full support to these plans and offered to meet with and work with the Working group to draw up a plan. A further meeting of the Working Group to be arranged.
a) Work undertaken & work required – Mr Griffiths advised on work undertatken around the villages in the week, including repair to grip at Hole-in-the-Wall to lengthen drainage pipe and need to re-build the verge at gully on Gatsford Lane.
b) Lengthsmans Contract – it was noted that Mr Griffith’s rates were to remain unchanged for the next financial year and it was RESOVLED unanimously to engage him as lengthsman for a further year.
12) Footpaths: Mr Griffiths reported Various P3 works that had also been undertaken.
a) Bank Balance and Receipts & Expenditure and budget progress ‘17/18 – schedules were circulated and noted
b) Payments: It was RESOLVED to pay HALC, Annual Subscription £392.41; J Sherahilo, Printing refund / Flying Colours £52.00; J Sherahilo, NDP Open day printing £381.68; Elizabeth Malcolm, NDP Open day refreshments £46.44; Elizabeth Malcolm, Salary and expenses £205.49; Terry Griffiths Contracts, Final Footpath & Lengthsman £423.60; Eyelid Productions, Website support backup, etc.£100.00; J Sherahilo, Defibrillator/ Phone box repairs £369.09; Ross-on-Wye TC , Room hire 27 Mar 18 for PC £15.00; GroundWork UK, Refund of unused NDP grant estimated £2,972.26
14) Parish Phone Box – Cllr Sherahilo advised that all work on phone box now complete and donations had been received towards purchase of defibrillator and grant application will recommence in April. A summary of funds to be circulated by Clerk.
15) GDPR (General Data Protection Regulations): Cllrs J Scudamore and Cllr E Evans volunteered to form a working party with the Clerk to consider NALC and other toolkit and DPO options.
16) Correspondence Received: The Clerk advised an email had been received from Councillor in Ledbury regarding request for funds to finance legal costs.
17) Meeting Dates:
a) Next meeting the Annual Parish Meeting – 22nd May 2017 at 7pm, to be followed by Annual Parish Council meeting at 7.30pm
b) Reserved date of 24th April 2018 for extraordinary meeting if necessary was noted
c) Ordinary Parish Council meetings 24th July; 25th September; 27th November.
d) Reserved dates for extraordinary meetings if required 26th June; 28th August; 23rd October.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 21:20