D R A F T
Minutes of an Extraordinary meeting Council
On Tuesday 23rd April 2019
At Upton Bishop Millennium Hall at 19:30
Present: Cllr R Lewis, Chairman; Cllr E Evans; Cllr I Pebody; Cllr J Scudamore; Cllr J Sherahilo; Cllr D Teague; Cllr G Watts.
In attendance; 18 Parishioners; Lynda Wilcox, CE HALC; Parish Clerk Elizabeth Malcolm.
1) Apologies for absence: Cllr O Marshall; Cllr C Gething-Lewis.
2) Declarations of interest and dispensation requests: Cllr Lewis and Cllr Watts declared a pecuniary interest in item 5. The meeting was to receive information only and it was confirmed they would remain in the meeting.
3) Minutes – it was RESOLVED unanimously to agree and sign the minutes of the Parish Council meeting of 26th March as a true and accurate record of the meeting.
Item 5 was taken before item 4.
4) Open Session – Questions and clarifications were taken by Mrs Wilcox following the presentation in item 5. No further matters were raised.
5) Village Hall project – Lynda Wilcox presented information on the arrangements needed to manage and fund repairs and improvements to the Village Hall.
• Parish Councils have a Power/right to help village halls.
• Help may be given by donation/gift from the Parish Council to the village hall.
• As a VAT exempt organisation, the Parish Council may undertake purchases and reclaim the VAT and gift the result to the Village Hall. All contracts and orders must be with the Parish Council.
• Funds for use on the Village Hall project must be collected by the Parish Council who hold these as restricted funds for the project.
• Public Works Loans are available to Public bodies only and therefore the Parish Council must apply to the Public Works Loan Board (PWLB). Approval to loans is undertaken in the first instance by HALC and then appropriate Government body. A business plan to support the case for the loan is required and evidence of public consultation to ensure Parishioners are aware of the effect of the loan repayments on Council Tax charges. Early repayments are possible, and penalty payments may be applied.
• Discussion took place on the ownership of the Village Hall and it was agreed that all available documents should be submitted to Lynda Wilcox for inspection to confirm the current status. Contact with the Charity Commission was also required.
• There is no individual liability on Councillors, however the Council’s insurers must be advised of the project and give clearance that the appropriate covers are in place.
The Chairman thanked Mrs Wilcox for the expert advice and information. It was RESOLVED that the matter should be brought for discussion at the next Parish Council meeting having established the true status of all underlying documents relating to the Village Hall’s ownership.
Lynda Wilcox and Cllr Teague left the meeting.
6) Planning –
a) Current applications
i) 190819 – Land Adjacent to Brampton Abbotts Village Hall, Turners Lane. – Variation to condition 2 Reference 182085/F (Proposed residential dwelling) – minor alterations to the external appearance. Following discussion it was RESOLVED by majority (3 against, 2 in favour, 1 abstention) to object to the application.
The decision letter of 31st July 2018 had approved the application “…be carried out strictly in accordance with the approved plans (drawing nos. 704-PL02 and 704-PL03 both received 5 June 2018 and 704-PL01 received 25 July 2018) and the schedule of materials indicated thereon.” It was felt that the revised application put forward was not open and clear in easily identifying the changes that are being proposed.
ii) 191293 – Highfield, Overton Lane – Proposed erection of 2 detached dwellings with associated development. Following discussion, it was RESOLVED unanimously to return no objection and no comments to this application.
b) Decided applications – the following were all noted as having been approved: 190044 Gatsford House, 190159 Clouds Harrow flat, 190334 1 The Grove, 190013 The Byers, Townsend Farm.
7) Neighbourhood Development Plan – discussion carried forward to next meeting.
8) Road defects / Highways issues
a) Turners Lane triangle – it was noted that Cllr Watts would be photographing this weekly and arrangements would be put in place to store the photos in a secure online site.
b) Parking restrictions – it was confirmed the letter agreed at the last meeting had been dispatched and the Roads/Speeding team would follow up.
c) Action on Speeding – it was confirmed the letter agreed at the last meeting had been dispatched and the Roads/Speeding team would follow up.
9) Next meetings
a) The Annual Parish Meeting will take place on Tuesday 21st May at 7.00pm at Upton Bishop Millennium Hall. Sam Hine of BACRG has agreed to present an update.
b) Annual Parish Council Meeting will take place on Tuesday 21st at 7:30pm at Upton Bishop Millennium Hall
c) Ordinary Parish Council meeting dates for 2019 –23rd July, 24th September, 26th November.
d) Councillors are asked to hold the following dates available for Extraordinary meetings if required: 25th June, 27th August, 22nd October.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 21:25